Monday, November 24, 2008

my blogging day off

My day off

I decided to take a day off of blogging…in all honesty, I was just plain lazy! I was able to get a whole of a couple of folks to Skype with them and that was a lot of fun. I started off with a visit with Jonah and Dave and it was good to see them. Jonah, for some reason, gets super quiet and shy when you video conference. Not at all like the little boy I know! Normally, you need to play the ‘quiet’ game with him so you can get a little peace, know what I mean? Afterward, I had a great conversation (although it took multiple times for us to get it right) with my cousin Isabel, with some guest appearances of my Zia Serafina and my cousin John. It was a ton of fun and good for the heart to see family faces.

I also went and saw Quantum of Solace. The movie experience in the UK is again, subtly different, but the differences are ones that I just can’t handle. Ha ha. So, few movies will be seen by me at the local theatre company. First of all, the popcorn was cold and packaged. Sigh. How can you watch a movie without hot buttered popcorn??? The screens were tiny (no mammoth paramount Chinook!) and cold. One thing they did get right was the seating. That was pretty darn decent, thank you very much.

So I braved Oxford/Bond street on Sunday, and made my way to Primark. I got there 10 minutes before it opened (I didn’t know that at the time) and saw a line up to get in. It was MAYHEM! The rain was pouring own, people were crowding to get in as soon as the doors opened, and when they did, it was like a scene from a movie. We poured in like ants…crazy. But after shopping for 15 mins, I understood why. For £40 I got a king sized mattress cover, duvet/sham set, sheet set, towel set (6 in total), and two pillows. Wow.

I realized I will have to go back after (I need more than one set of sheets) but maybe I’ll wait until AFTER Christmas. Although after talking to someone who works there, they said its like that every weekend. It. Was. Nuts. Oh, and one guy (poor guy too) had a job of sweeping up the hangers that people discard on the floor. Seriously, I saw the place all organized when I walked in and within 30 minutes, it looked like a picked over H&M. It was that bad.

Anyhoo, I finally got my banking in order, my first paycheck in the bank, and I get the keys to my new flat on Saturday. I’m going to go there on Sunday and make my bed, bring over some easy stuff. Can’t wait to get settled in. The apartment/hotel I’m in now is ok, but knowing I’m going somewhere more secure, warm and clean makes me feel tons better. I can start cooking again!

And here’s a crazy thing…an old friend found me on facebook last night – Stephanie Stenseth (now Wright). Weird thing is, I was thinking about her a few days back and was going to look for her on facebook. Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey everyone, always good to hear from you!