Friday, January 9, 2009

heart blockage in a plate

Thursday was a good day – things were moving and shaking, and sometimes I felt like I couldn’t keep up, but I did! And I always like days when Tanya is here, as she is so much fun. After work, Bim came over and I showed her and my flatmate D, how to make Penne a la Vodka. Overall, it was a great success and it has been a while since I ate something that rich…and did I ever pay for it later.

I woke up at 1 a.m. feeling extremely awful…I have been getting away with my lactose situation but I think the combo of the butter, the double cream, the cheese and the white pasta and bread took its toll. I haven’t eaten like that in a long time, so my body was very unpleased. So I was up for about 45 mins thinking I was going to get sick, but I didn’t…I think the bottle of red wine helped…love those anti-oxidants.

I’m paying for it today though. I feel like poo.

But that won’t stop me from a pint at the Marquis of Granby! This week has been great – kind of like ‘back to school’. So many people were gone over the holiday and now that we’re all here, we’re all dying to be social. So I will manage a glass of wine tonight, since I think beer would be the wrong thing right now.

Can I just say, I love Sainsbury’s? I needed to buy a toothbrush and paste for work today, and it cost me a whopping 49p. man, when things here are cheap, they’re cheap…

This weekend I'm debating the British Museum, the Victoria & Albert Museum, the movie Defiance (mmmm, daniel crag), and a big clean up. I have so much laundry to do!

So here’s my recipe for Penne a la Vodka. But seriously, only eat it once per year!

Penne ala Vodka
1 package bacon or pancetta - cut into pieces
1 small yellow onion (or half med yellow onion) chopped
1/4 cup of butter
2 28 oz cans of Tomato Sauce
1/2 cup of vodka
1 cup of whipping cream (35%)
3/4 cup butter
In a sauce pan, cook bacon until cooked through (it does not have to be crispy). Once cooked, drain most of the fat, leaving a small amount in the pan. Add the onion and 1/4 cup of butter. Cook until onion is transparent. Add the tomatoe sauce, and cook for about 10 mins. Add the vodka and cook for 5 mins. Add the whipping cream, and simmer for 15 - 20 mins. Just before serving, add the 3/4 cup of butter. Once melted, give it a good stir and serve.

TIPS
Stir your sauce so it doesn't overcook on the bottom.

The measurements for vodka and whipping cream are approximate - you can be as liberal as you wish.

You can add additional spices such as fresh basil, oregano, garlic, etc. to your preference.

1 comment:

  1. I know what would make you feel better than poo......calling those IT folks another name. HA HA HA HA!

    I'm trying the Penne ala Vodka this weekend. I'll suffer the same nasty after effects but I think it will be worth it.

    THANKS again for sharing and being so funny.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone, always good to hear from you!